Tuesday, December 8, 2009

THE QUIET QUARTER


Lyric FM's Quiet Quarter has provided new Irish writers with a voice and a platform for their writing for the last ten years. Unfortunately this daily slot has now finished. But in order to mark the series, Lyric have produced an anthology of selected pieces from the last ten years. The book, which is published by New Island, is called 'The Quiet Quarter - Ten Years of Great Irish Writing' and was launched today at the National Concert Hall.

And I have an essay entitled 'The Ultimate Compliment' featured in the publication. It is a sublime joy to see one's words in print and something I will remember fora long time. And it is a great encouragement to keep writing - even if one of the avenues open to new writers is now closed. But hopefully RTE will come up with another slot for personal essays.
Anyway the book is now available from all good bookshops and would make a great Christmas present!

3 comments:

  1. Well done Barbara! That is really wonderful news. I am so pleased for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Barbara! A wonderful achievement to see ones work in print. Will look out for the book when I am home this May.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on being published - a great thrill indeed! I found your blog via Ann's and also Niamh's and you have diverse talents - poetry and prose. I don't get to listen to Lyric too often as I drive around in my job, more like bad news and current affairs, but when I get fed up of that then Lyric's a nice refuge. Love John Kelly in the afternoon as I never forgave Radio One for losing his Mystery Train. And I sometimes came across The Quiet Quarter. So well done. I wrote a memoir piece for a self-published book our writers' group did some years ago and still get a kick out of it. Blogging's the only writing I seem to do nowadays. Welcome to visit my blog if you have time!
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete